Industry acquisitions and consolidation dominated headlines during 2016 with readers viewing these topics more than other news during 2016. Motorola Solutions' acquisition of Spillman Technologies in September led the list followed by Hytera Communications’ US$92 million offer for Sepura last week. The Harris and Tait Communications exclusive agreement, JPS acquisition and BearCom’s buy of Consolidated Telecom Services were also on the list of business-related supplier stories.Motorola Sues Hytera for Patent Infringement, Trade Secret Misappropriation
How Will Politics Affect the Industry?
Colorado to Release Public-Safety LTE RFP in Coming Weeks
Updates and viewpoints about the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) were scattered throughout our most popular stories with the entity’s request for proposals (RFP) award delay third on the list. Other FirstNet headlines included questions from Congress on the RFP, the protest by Rivada Networks, companies that submitted RFP bids and state concerns with the Long Term Evolution (LTE) plans and transition.
TETRA in North America was another hot topic during 2016 with Motorola Solutions’ protest of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) $202 million TETRA contract the fourth-most read story on our website this year. Potomac Spectrum’s plans for a nationwide TETRA network also made the list.
Spectrum issues, including 800 MHz interference, 800 MHz rebanding, and updates on VHF and UHF narrowbanding, are also on the list. In addition, fines for unlicensed operators, Project 25 (P25), encryption and vendors entering and leaving the Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) market are also popular stories.
Check out all of the top 20 stories that appeared on MCCmag.com this year.
1. Motorola Buys Spillman Technologies
2. Hytera Offers US$92M for Sepura, Final Shareholder Vote Pending
3. FirstNet Won’t Make Nov. 1 Target Award Date
4. Motorola Solutions Protests New York MTA’s $202M TETRA Contract
5. $23,000 Fine Proposed for Unlicensed Operator in New York
6. Executives Detail Harris Tait Exclusive Agreement, Dealer Integration Plan Underway
7. Lawmakers Question FirstNet RFP Details During House Subcommittee Hearing
8. Founder in Talks to Buy JPS Assets, Market in Limbo
9. FirstNet’s Uncertainty Increases with RFP Protest, Changing Administration
10. 800 MHz Interference Issues Promise to Continue into New Year with PSD Debate
11. JVCKENWOOD Launches DMR Product Line in United States
12. Washington State Takes Issue with Sprint 800 MHz Rebanding Request
13. O’Brien’s pdvWireless Submits FirstNet Bid, Anticipates 900 MHz Notice of Inquiry
14. FCC Releases New VHF, UHF Narrowbanding Information
15. Potomac Spectrum Plans U.S. Nationwide TETRA-Based Public-Safety Network
16. Should Firefighters Reconsider P25?
17. Senate Hearing Highlights FirstNet Concerns from States, Inspector General
18. The Case for Encryption
19. Sepura Withdraws from DMR Market, Addresses Debt
20. BearCom Buys Consolidated Telecom Services
Would you like to comment on this story? Find our comments system below.