New Zealand Firm Named Winner of Tait Tough Competition
Monday, November 09, 2015 | Comments

Tait Communications announced the finalists and winner of the Tait Tough competition, where resellers were invited to send in submissions of real-life tests of ruggedness and dependability, such as dropping Tait radios off cliffs, leaving them in burning buildings and other improbable feats of survivability.

The entries were representative of the broad cross-section of industries Tait serves, including fire services, mining companies and construction, all of which demand the most rugged and dependable of radio gear to safely and reliably communicate.

“Our radios consistently reset the frontier of radio usability,” said Garry Diack, CEO of Tait Communications. “While no one wants to have to put our radios to the ultimate test, having the confidence that they will work when they’re needed most is a tremendous boost for users — particularly those in critical communications and first-responder roles. I’m very impressed with the various ways they have been put to the test in the field.”

The overall winner of the competition was Colvins in New Zealand. A Tait portable radio fell 65 feet out of a backpack being hoisted on a wire over a valley by a forestry gang, falling into a flooded river. Three months later, the same radio was dug out of a mud pit and worked perfectly with a fresh battery.

Finalists in the competition shared a variety of different stories of how Tait radios survived rugged conditions. Workers from Tasmanian Electronic & Communication Services in Australia dropped a Tait portable radio from a fire observation tower in rural Tasmania onto a rocky outcrop 65 feet below, incurring only a few nicks and scrapes. In addition, a Tait portable radio owned by PT Alssa in Indonesia was accidentally dropped into a mud puddle and run over by a heavy equipment truck, but worked fine again after replacing a snapped antenna.

A Tait Project 25 (P25) portable radio from The Charlie Edwards Co. and used by a Los Angeles fire department was left inside a burning house, emerging with a badly burnt antenna, heat-damaged belt clip and control knobs, and a melted microphone cord, yet remained fully operational. In addition, a Tait P25 portable survived tumbling through the steel frame of a dragline crane at an Australian mine and then plummeting nearly 100 feet and hitting the rocky ground below, said Nixon Communications.

Tait portable radios at Oelmann Elektronik in Germany survived a bevy of unfortunate incidents, including falling off a cliff in the Caucasus Mountains, dropping out of a car on the move, being left out in hard rain and under the snow, charged with improper voltage, and even being used as a hammer. A radio from Baud Telecom in Saudi Arabia accidentally dropped into the ocean was recovered after 48 hours, only to spring back to life with application of some contact cleaner to drive out the residual seawater.

Post a comment
Name: *
Email: *
Title: *
Comment: *


No Comments Submitted Yet

Be the first by using the form above to submit a comment!

Magazines in Print

August 2019

29 - 29
Webinar: FirstNet App Catalog: Back by Popular Demand

September 2019

12 - 12
Northern California APCO Vendor Showcase
Roseville, California

October 2019

23 - 24
Wireless Leadership Summit
Kansas City, Missouri

November 2019

3 - 6
APCO Canada
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

More Events >

Site Navigation